Friday, April 8, 2011

Upcycling a frisbee

Like I said at the end of my previous post, I wanted to take part in the Readymade magazine's challenge again. The next one will be to upcycle a frisbee. There are obvious upcycle projects such as, a clock or bird feeders that use the circular shape of the frisbee. I didn't want to use the full circular shape in the challenge and came up with the cell phone/charger holder.


The tools:

A cutting tool such as Dremel and a flame to bend the frisbee.





 


How to make it:

Very simple, the frisbee is folded where you feel like there's enough space for you cell phone to fit, by heating the plastic and a hole is made for the plug:


Update: I have decided to post the frisbee-upcycling project on readymade in the the next few days. I wanted to post the figure about how to make it, first on my blog, and then I will do it on readymade website.

This is the figure about how to make it:


1- Using the Dremel or anything good enough to cut the plastic, remove a 90 degres triangle on each side of the folding line.
2- Fold the frisbee at 90 degres by heating all along the "hinge" area without heating too much, you don't want to melt the plastic.
3- Cut a hole that will fit your plug (you might use the transparency of the plastic to draw the hole from your plug)

Conclusion
That's minimalist modifications to upcycle something, but that's the way I like upcycling.

I'm conscious that improvement could be made to the design, such as cord management, adding one more plug or make slots on the horizontal part to accomodate an Ipad. I'm still debatting with myself if I should submit it to the challenge, feel free to let me know what you think and how I should improve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment